Sunday, August 2, 2015

A woman of prayer

I have found that on my days when I am overwhelmed by the felt presence of God I write. I was going to write on my prayer life when I opened John Bunyan's book on prayer I saw a message I wrote to myself which says "lay hold of the throne of grace". I find myself sometimes struck at how God works through me.... I am inadequate, small yet God sees fit to look upon me.
The reason I was looking into John Bunyan's book was because where he writes the meaning of prayer when I read it when I first got it struck me.
" Prayer is a sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the heart or soul to God, through Christ, in the strength and assistance of the Holy Spirit, for such things as God has promised, or according to his Word, for the good of the church, with submission in faith to the will of God."
When I pray with people God gives me scripture that at needed to be heard. In private its usually me taking a walk and talking to God. I have no closet (I wish sometimes I did). Sometimes God feels so close I feel that if I reach out my hand as I walk He will take mine in His.
I love prayer because God hears as it says in the Psalms
Psalm 34:4-7 NASB
I sought the LORD, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears.
They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them.

I know that the way I walk with the Lord is not the standard. Frankly my friends God bless them are such an encouragement to me. They seek to walk in His Ways whatever role God has given them. It's amazing to see how God has grown them. God in his mercy even despite my time in sin has grown me too.

I used to meet up with a group on Fridays, it was a prayer group. We with one heart sought Him, wanted more of Him, wanted revival to come to come to our church.
He met us, He met us. It wasn't really planned it was just prayer and worship, and the scriptures used to exhort one another.

Frankly my simple prayer right now is that God's will be done, and that He no matter what the circumstance will meet me to provide instruction, reproof, and His shelter. I want to abide in Him and He in me, whatever in life happens. God take this life, its not mine but yours to do with as you will.

Now in reading reading this portion from Psalm 18, hopefully it will encourage more prayer.
Psalm 18:6-19 NASB
In my distress I called upon the LORD,
And cried to my God for help;
He heard my voice out of His temple,
And my cry for help before Him came into His ears.
Then the earth shook and quaked;
And the foundations of the mountains were trembling
And were shaken, because He was angry.
Smoke went up out of His nostrils,
And fire from His mouth devoured;
Coals were kindled by it.
He bowed the heavens also, and came down
With thick darkness under His feet.
He rode upon a cherub and flew;
And He sped upon the wings of the wind.
He made darkness His hiding place,
His canopy around Him,
Darkness of waters, thick clouds of the skies.
From the brightness before Him passed His thick clouds,
Hailstones and coals of fire.
The LORD also thundered in the heavens,
And the Most High uttered His voice,
Hailstones and coals of fire.
He sent out His arrows, and scattered them,
And lightning flashes in abundance, and routed them.
Then the channels of water appeared,
And the foundations of the world were laid bare
At Your rebuke, O LORD,
At the blast of the breath of Your nostrils.
He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemy,
And from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
But the LORD was my stay.
He brought me forth also into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me.

No comments: