Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thankfulness, Advent Season, and celebrating the Christ has come

Isaiah 9:2, 6-7 NASB
The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will shine on them...
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this.

This morning I woke up in a pique of self-indulgent 'I want it my way tantrum.' Thank God for a phone call from one dear friend that reminded me this day is not about me and what I want to accomplish but about God and having gratitude towards Him. Cultivating gratitude is not a once a year kind of thing but instead having been grounded upon the knowledge that He has not only provided me life, He has, through the work of His Son Jesus who is the Christ, paid the price for atoning for my sin! He has given me new life after all the evil that I have done giving me beauty for ashes. So instead of posting food pictures I have decided before Friday begins to do as the Psalmist did in Psalm 63, to meditate on His in the night.

Psalm 63:6-8 NASB
When I remember You on my bed,
I meditate on You in the night watches,
For You have been my help,
And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to You;
Your right hand upholds me.

I am remembering a song called "Call to Advent" in which two songs are blended together with the men singing "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel and ransom captive Israel", while the women sing, " Let all mortal flesh keep silent". This season has for a long time been one of disappointment not because of gifts but because I know, I know that this time to celebrate the birth of Christ should not be centered on material things but the worship of a God, who put on flesh, descending to Earth to live the sinless life that we could not, that Jesus would be that lamb who pays for our sin by laying down His life and bearing the wrath of the Father. This thinking over God, has made all these verses and songs and praise spring in my mind in quickfire bursts, yet with a clarity that God grants I see His tender mercies towards me though I am....me, small an insignificant sitting here, in the dark. Thanking God.

No comments: