Saturday, January 17, 2015

Prayer

I read texts on prayer a lot. And though I am not an exhaustive font of knowledge on prayer their are some things I find helpful in my search to deepen my prayer life.

1. Remember God in prayer

I don't mean that we should pray for God because He is self-sufficient. I mean that praise should be part of prayer too. We pray to the Father through Jesus Christ the Son by the aid of the Holy Spirit.

2. Humble oneself when praying to God.

For me this sets my mind to see more cleary that I am the creature and He the Creator. He is the potter and I the clay.

3. May what I request be according to the Will of God.

When I think of the requests I make from God I look at it in the light of James 4.
James 4:3 NASB You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures.
1 John 3:22 NASB and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

4. Give my all to God. Submit myself to God

I have realized that the more I give my desires to God the more freedom in Christ I have.
Romans 12:1-2 NASB Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

5. Use the word of God in a prayer

Psalm 27:4 NASB
One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple.
Psalm 61:1-8 NASB
Hear my cry, O God; Give heed to my prayer. From the end of the earth I call to You when my heart is faint; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been a refuge for me, A tower of strength against the enemy. Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah. For You have heard my vows, O God; You have given me the inheritance of those who fear Your name. You will prolong the king's life; His years will be as many generations. He will abide before God forever; Appoint lovingkindness and truth that they may preserve him. So I will sing praise to Your name forever, That I may pay my vows day by day.

6. It is through Christ that we ask.

John 16:23-26 NASB
"In that day you will not question Me about anything Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full. "These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; an hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but will tell you plainly of the Father. "In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I will request of the Father on your behalf;

No comments: